Bring healing-centered yoga (including mindfulness and meditation) to kids in underrepresented communities in the Denver-metro area to empower them and help them be successful in school and in life and their dreams.
WHAT WE DO
Teach yoga (movement, breathing, and meditation) to kids ECE to High School ages during school hours, after and everything in between. We partner with a specials teacher, athletic professionals, therapists, and more to bring yoga to our students. We supply the mats, the cleaner, props, the teachers, and curriculum so there is absolutely no cost to the school or student ever.
WHY YOGA IN UNDERREPRESENTED COMMUNITIES?
Some of the benefits of yoga as proven by Rise Up Yoga’s research:
- More than ever students report “feeling stressed out and hopeless.”
- Students reported feeling safe in the spaces where we practice yoga.
- Following participation in yoga classes, all students in one study noted feeling positive and optimistic; feeling physically strong; standing up for oneself; self-confidence; being nice to other students and family.
- Students learn relaxation techniques that work for their unique body as measured by their stress response.
- Students report feeling calm and more connected to their yoga community after practicing.
- When measured, students showed a correlation between practicing yoga, meditation and breathing techniques and a regulation in heart rates.
- Heart rates decreased when students practices Rise Up Yoga relaxation techniques.
- Rise Up Yoga’s focus on social/emotional learning strengthens students’ ability to show empathy and compassion to others.
- Students reported understanding mindfulness more because it was connected to STEAM activities.
- Participants in Rise Up Yoga TBI focused classes have shown increases in impulse control, the ability to better advocate for their needs and sense of community with other peers who have experienced a TBI.
WHY TRAUMA-INFORMED YOGA?
Often times situations of poverty come with situations of abuse, domestic violence, alcohol and substance abuse, homelessness, and a wide array of other things that create even more chaos in the population. Specific training in trauma-informed yoga helps Rise Up Yoga approach all populations with social justice at the forefront and prevents any further infliction of unintentional trauma.
Another study found:
“A recent review of research on the effects of yoga practice on children produced moderate evidence suggesting benefits for cardiovascular health, physical functioning, and behavior (see Galantino et al., 2008 for a review). Yoga research on children also points to the improved attention and emotional control (Jensen & Kenny, 2004).”
Still want to see some more information on the benefits of yoga? Check out this video.
RISE UP YOGA IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY RELIGION OR RELIGIOUS PRACTICE.
In fact, the curriculum has been stripped of anything dogmatic and instead focuses on the benefits of yoga a means to build confidence, empowerment, relieve and soothe stress and decrease instances of triggers escalating into destructive behavior for the student.